Thursday, October 30, 2008

Across the border...

Taken from the BBC, October 30th, 2008
Interesting coincidence that my last post was about our escape to Gisenyi... Just across the border, hundreds of thousands of Congolese civilians are on the move to stay ahead of clashes between Laurent Nkunda's rebels and Kabila's government forces. Nkunda has been taking the province of North Kivu by storm over the past two months and is currently less than 20 kilometres outside of Goma, the provincial capital. Rwanda has been accused both of bombing government forces and of cross-border attacks. Here in Kigali, it's hard to say what's true and what isn't; we're relying heavily on outside media for some idea about what's going on. I know there's more than a few of you who follow international news and may have put the DRC-Rwanda puzzle pieces together, so I wanted to assure everyone that I'm fine and in no danger. Rwanda is still perfectly safe and I don't expect any trouble on our end, although I'll be keeping a close eye on news reports in the next while. Nkunda declared a ceasefire yesterday evening but I think it's only a matter of time until he takes Goma as well, and it's difficult to say what the results of that might be.

1 comment:

C. L. Cotton said...

Uncle Dave and I will be praying that you and your friends stay safe. We're so blessed in Canada that the idea civil discord is name-calling in the parliament. I cannot imagine what it would be like to live in a country where civil violence can occur. In the meantime, I have been copying your blog into Notepad so I can print it in large font for your grandmother Cotton. I've downloaded many of the photos and will take my laptop when I next visit her. Have no idea why it took me so long to think of doing this. Blame it on almost being an official senior citizen.
Love Aunt Carole