Monday, July 7, 2008

Hot hot heat.

It's currently 30 degrees celcius here... At least five degrees HOTTER than in Kigali at the moment. I can't stand two more weeks of this heat and humidity!

I've been remarkably lazy at keeping up with this. I do seem to have a fair bit of free time in the evenings, but it's usually spent reading or trying to nap or talking to people. I have to admit- by the end of 830am-5pm days, I don't feel much like writing about what I've done all day. It's not exhilirating, by any means. It's interesting to be surrounded by so many people from all over the world who have experience doing all kinds of development work, but the course content makes it difficult, at times, to stay focused.

I've had a few really bad days, where I just wanted to come home and forget about it. But I think I'm past that now and I just can't WAIT to get going. In two weeks, at this time, I'll be at the airport waiting to board... Exciting! We still don't know where we'll be living, or much else... but I'm sure it'll all just sort itself out.

We spent yesterday at Laird's brother's farm out in Tatamagouche, which was a great break from being around here all day. We drove up at got there just before noon, at which point one of the kids who lives on the farm (there are a few couples living and working together) gave us a great tour before we headed off to have pancakes for breakfast/lunch. After eating, we went off to a beautiful beach, where we stayed for a few hours enjoying the sun. When we went back to the farm, we picked vegetables out of the garden for supper- which was much more satisfying than I'd imagined. Still, it's definitely not the life for me- I had no cell phone signal for over 9 hours, which predictably made me a little antsy. Strangely enough, I realised as we were leaving that I had met Laird's brother's girlfriend before at a conference at MTA- yet another one of the "it's a small world" connections that have come up among the 16 of us in the program.

Today was a nice lazy day. I spent two hours sitting outside reading under a tree, which was exactly what I needed. If only it would get a little cooler...

No comments: